Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 3: Your first Korean Drama?

As much as I'm not really proud to admit it, my first Korean Drama is Boys Over Flowers (꽃보다 남자). I wasn't a drama addict then. I just watched when I was in Sec One because everyone said it was such a good drama. And heard the production was on a really, really large scale.


And since I was super free during my Sec One days, I decided to watch the drama. Okay, I honestly couldn't stand Goo Junpyo's (played by Lee Minho) super duper uber curly hair. I honestly believe I've got something against unnatural curls. So I actually supported Geum Jandi (played by Goo Hyesun) and Yoon Jihoo (played by Kim Hyunjoong). And I initially liked Jihoo the most out of the four.


I didn't really liked the leads too. But what made me persevere and keep going was how the Prince saved his Cinderella time after time, how the Beauty slowly but gradually changed her Beast to be a better Prince. And how the other three with such impressive family background protected/stood up for Jandi (from a really poor family) when other rich students bullied her.


But I think slowly, I started to like So Yijung  (played by Kim Bum) after Jihoo changed his hairstyle. Okay come to think of it now, Jihoo's later hairstyle in the drama looked so much better than his earlier hairstyle. I guess it was because I got attached to his ealier hairstyle, like I got attracted to him when he was playing his violin in his earlier hairstyle. Really thought he was handsome there, so I started liking him from then. AND BOY IS YIJUNG ONE HANDSOME PLAYER. You know usually in dramas, both then and nowadays, when they cast for a player role which is not the lead, the actor ain't even thatttt handsome as how they exaggerate it to be, which irritates me a lot. I understand that they probably don't want a really handsome actor to take the spotlight away from the leads, but... THEN DON'T EXAGGERATE UNTIL HE'S LIKE SOME TO DIE FOR HANDSOME GUY LAH. Haiyo.

 
But like all dramas, the players finally finally this girl which manages to open his heart, mend his wounds (cause usually all players apparently have had some bad/traumatising experience that resulted in their flirtatiousness) and finally change their habits. Then they live happily ever after. But you can only see them happily ever after at the wee end of the last episode.


The end of the drama where Junpyo came to find Jandi in a helicopter while Jandi stilll couldn't pass her medical exams for the third time (if my memory still serves me right). Jihoo was with Jandi, and Yijung finally came back from Paris after having thought through what he really wanted in life, which was Gaeul, duh. And I'm so sorry but I have not clue what Song Woobin (played by Kim Joon) was/have been doing all these while in the 3 I think years gap.

At first while I was watching it, my mum would come over to me occassionally and watch for a while too. Then she would comment on how ugly Lee Minho's curls was, then how girly Kim Hyunjoong's earlier hair was. HOWEVER, she did try to watch this drama on her own one day but that happened when I was Sec Three and it was "such a good drama" that my mum watched it over and over since then. Definately more than 10 times. I guess it was because she liked Kim Hyunjoong. But it was because of this drama that she liked him, ironcally, despite disliking him because of his girly hair.

I wouln't rate it a bad drama. I just thought that it was slightly over-rated..? But you have got to give the production group a big applause for the effort that they spent on the settings and props. If you saw their BTS. All the scenes, they were so magnificent.

And that concludes my thoughts, as far as I can remember after 4 years, of my first Korean Drama that I've ever watched; Boys Over Flowers. Shall end this day's challenge post with the four of them. :)



Here to see other days.

No comments: